Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thursday 13 - Old TV Shows

A couple weeks ago, I discussed my 13 favorite tv shows of the moment. I also listed a couple TV shows that were no longer on air (Dr Quinn Medicine Woman and Smallville) and I thought I would list some more shows from the past that I enjoyed....

1. Dawson's Creek - I watched this show pretty much from beginning to end. I was around the same age as the characters in the show and a lot of it seemed to be similar to my life. I actually have this series on DVD...I had a gift card from my birthday and found it online pretty cheap. :) It was interesting going back and watching it now as an adult. It was awesome back then...a lot different now. ;)

2. Beverly Hills 90210 - The original! I started watching it fairly late...I think it wasn't until 1995-1996 that I started watching it. And back then I wasn't as OCD about catching up on old episodes (plus it was harder without the internet). To this day I still haven't seen all the episodes. But...I enjoyed it. Brandon was my hottie crush and I liked Andrea while she was on there.

3. Party of Five - You really don't hear much about this show these days but it was big when I was in high school. I didn't watch it as closely as Dawson's Creek but I tried to watch it when I was home. My favorite characters were played by Scott Wolf and Jennifer Love Hewitt. :)

4. Sisters - Anyone remember this show? My mom liked it so I watched it with her a lot. I liked Teddy and Georgie...they were my favorites. I don't think I watched it through all of the seasons because my taste started to move more towards "teenage" shows.

5. Picket Fences - OMG does anyone remember this one? I forgot all about it until I looked up "90s TV Shows" and it was on a top 40 list. LOL. I watched this one with my mom, too. I really like Kathy Baker...she was my favorite on this show but I liked Tom Skerritt's character, too.

6. The Real World - I watched this off and on as a teen. My favorite season was when they were on the ship for Semester at Sea. I so badly wanted to be able to do that (Semester at Sea, not Real World). I've always loved traveling...but...couldn't afford it! And now I'm too old...and still can't afford it. :P

7. Oz - I started watching this show after I started watching Law & Order SVU...because Christopher Meloni played in it...as well as several other characters I liked (like JK Simmons). It's kind of a brutal show but as someone who wanted to become a correctional counselor, it was interesting to me.

8. Roseanne - Such a dysfunctional family show...but I liked it. I love John Goodman. I do think the old Becky was more believable in that family than the new Becky the eventually had. Darlene (Sara Gilbert) was also one of my favorite characters.

9. Star Trek: The Next Generation - The ONLY Star Trek that I enjoyed. My mom watched this show a lot so I watched it with her.

10. Cheers - This was another show that my mom watched so I ended up watching it. Kirstie Alley is also a local (she's from Wichita, Kansas) so that was always neat to me. It's not like a lot of people from around here really make it big.

11. Buffy/Angel - I'm listing them together because one was a spinoff from the other. This was another show that was big when I was a teen. I mostly watched them for David Boreanaz (YUM).

12. Empty Nest - Does anyone else remember this show? I loved the five main characters. This was back when I actually watched sitcoms...which I don't watch often anymore. When I was little, I watched things like I Love Lucy, I Dream of Genie, Bewitched, etc. which were shows that my mom liked...and this was another one that I watched because my mom watched and ended up liking it.

13. Golden Girls - I LOVED this show growing up. Sometimes I'll still watch reruns if they happen to be on TV. Sometimes it was completely corny...but I liked the characters a lot.

7 comments:

  1. I remember Picket Fences! I watched that with my parents. I'd love to watch that one again.
    I agree that old Becky was the best. It was nice when she came back. Sarah Chalke is a good actress, but she just wasn't as believable as Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously LOVED Golden Girls and Empty Nest. And I also loved Amen and 227. Remember those?! Man. We are lame! Oh, and okay, so Sisters was an obsession...and My So Called Life...and...shhh...20/20.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. And I still watch Roseanne every time I see it on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I remember those! There have been a LOT of good shows that aren't around anymore. I had a hard time choosing 13 of them. I was going through a list of all the 90s TV shows and kept reminiscing. There were shows (like Picket Fences!) that I'd completely forgotten about. And one I was going to list then got side-tracked was Life Goes On! Oh and Doogie Howser! LOL. We used to watch those, too. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly...I like the actress but she just didn't fit into the dysfunctional family dynamic as well. 
    I had forgotten all about Picket Fences...I wonder if there's any way to watch past episodes of that one. I think all old TV shows should be released on DVD so we can reminisce. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, Semester at Sea was a Road Rules thing. The sister show to Real World. Personally, I always liked Road Rules better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah...you're right. It was a season of Road Rules. I sporadically watched both. I think my preference usually had more to do with the people...I may have actually watched more Road Rules than I did Real World now that I think about it...

    ReplyDelete