Sunday, January 29, 2012

Organization!

I've really been in the mood lately to get my apartment all organized. Organization makes me happy. I organized all my books on the bookshelf in the living room. I put all my gift wrap stuff in my new storage bag. I've also been getting all my laundry done. I'm going through all the clothes and packing up all the ones that don't fit or aren't worn. I'm trying to get everything ready to rearrange our closet situation.

I've decided I want to turn my laundry room into a family closet. Well...it's likely just going to be the girls' closet because I don't think there's going to be enough room for all three of us to keep our clothes in there. But...I think just getting the girls' clothes all in one spot will help a lot.

I absolutely loathe doing the laundry. I really have no problem putting them in the washer and dryer. But then it's a matter of sorting them all, taking them upstairs, putting all the clothes in three separate bedrooms...putting them away neatly knowing that as soon as the girls look to find something to wear, they will get all messed up again. When they dig through the drawers or the closet, it always seems lots of clothes end up on the floor. And it's a huge fight to get them to put their own clothes away...and it's definitely not organized when they do it.

So when I'm sitting in front of a pile of laundry...I stare at it with dread and think of all the other things I'd rather be doing instead. :P I know this is all very normal stuff but it's just one of my least favorite chores around the house.

My laundry room is about 10x9 but shaped rather oddly. I came across this website on pinterest awhile back. I put in all the measurements of my laundry room and played around. Here's what I came up with:


The space across from the dryer is where I will put the girls' clothes. The square area at the left is where I store everything. I would utilize that part too...but it's under the stairs which means the ceiling is short and slanted there so it would make getting in and out of there rather difficult. It's hard enough getting all my holiday decorations out of there once or twice a year. So even though I'd love to have ALL the clothes in there, I don't think I'm going to be able to swing it. There's just not enough room.

I was going to build a shelving unit to put in the closet area but I'm starting to rethink that plan. When I was at Walmart with mom the other day, I found some modular storage units with drawers...there are several different sizes. I think if I use those on the floor and then hang a bar over them, there will be enough room for all of their clothes.

This way I can just take their clothes straight from the dryer and put them away. Hopefully it will all work out the way I'm hoping it will!

0 comments:

Post a Comment