Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Laundry - Finished Product

I just realized that I never published a post with the actual finished product of the laundry room makeover. So here are some pictures of the girls' new closet! I even broke out my actual camera for the occasion instead of using my cameraphone. ;)

Here is the complete view of the laundry room from the door. The washer and dryer are at the right behind the door. Next to them are the hampers for dirty laundry: whites, lights, darks. I love that they are stacked because it doesn't take up as much room and it fits perfectly right there. When one gets full, I throw a load in the washing machine. Then the open area with the slanted ceiling...that's my storage area. The pink tubs have photos, old electronics and computer stuff, and then behind the white stacked drawers are my holiday decorations and stuff like that. The grey tub holds the girls' shoes. The white drawers...the bottom drawer has the girls' socks, the next two drawers have clothes for Ashlyn that Aubry has outgrown, and then the top drawer is for clothes that Aubry will grow into. On top of the drawers is the crate of outdoor toys...didn't really have a better place to put it. :P And then to the left is the girls' closet.

My dad installed the bar for me to hang their shirts. The shelf on top needs to be screwed down but the battery on the drill died. The boxes on the shelf hold the girls' seasonal clothes (right now their summer clothes are in there). All those cloth bins hold the girls' play clothes and clothes they can wear to their dad's house. They each have a bin for tops, bottoms, and then the middle bin has both their seasonal clothes. Then all the drawers below hold the rest of their clothes. The top drawers hold underwear, tights, and misc things like bras, undershirts, belts, vests, etc. The middle drawers hold pajamas and jeans/pants. The bottom drawer holds the girls' skirts, shorts, and t-shirts. I would actually like to have more drawers, but I really don't have anymore room. What we have works out well, though.

Everything is labeled...I got a great deal on a label maker at Walmart. The girls know exactly where everything is. And if my mom or even my dad (who requires specific instructions for anything) could easily find what clothes they need if I'm not home for some reason or I need them to go to my house to grab something. As the girls get older, they'll also be able to help put away the clothes since it's pretty much a no-brainer when it comes to where everything goes. But...I'm waiting a little awhile on that battle. I'm enjoying the peace of not arguing about them putting away their clothes in their rooms anymore. ;)

I REALLY like having the girls' closet in the laundry room. It makes it a lot more convenient and I'm better about getting their clothes put away sooner. I don't have to carry the hampers up and down the stairs all the time which is really nice. And the clothes stay a lot more organized this way. The girls like it, too. In the morning they come downstairs and pick out their clothes and get dressed in the laundry room. Everything is right there in one spot. And right across the hall is the downstairs bathroom where they brush their hair and teeth. Mornings definitely go a lot more smoothly, now! And before bed, they take off their clothes and put them in the hampers then put their pajamas on. It's just so much more efficient for everyone.

Plus, they both have a lot more space in their rooms. Most of their toys are kept in their closets, now. Definitely a good idea all around!

2 comments:

  1. When do they bathe if they just remove their clothes in laundry room and put on PJs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they are showering that night, they take their clothes upstairs or they get dressed after their shower. There is also one hamper in the upstairs bathroom...which is also where my dirty clothes go. 

    ReplyDelete